Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday, May 28 - Albany, NY to Wernersville, PA

Albany, NY to Wernersville, PA

The sun greeted us only for a short time today and most of the day, the skies looked like they would dump rain upon us. Fortunately, we were lucky and did not face Mother Nature's wrath.
We awoke early, and rode to the Diner Art took us to last evening for breakfast. The French Toast was thick and hot, and the coffee was slightly better than the swill we drank yesterday morning in Bangor.
Our first task of the day was to hop on the NY Expressway and head to Newburgh to visit Orange County Choppers of TLC fame.
It was a very impressive facility with all the bikes built on the TV show on display. I have to say, these boys have taken Harley Davidson's lead when it comes to merchandising. I picked up a wife beater t-shirt for myself and a neat one for the boy. Its hard to buy souveniers while on a motorcycle trip...where the helll do you pack them??
Before we left, we walked around the building to come face to face with Paul Teutel Sr., the man behind the multi million dollar business. He took a few moments from his filming to chat, take a picture and wish us well. And, you can note from the picture..he's no bigger than I am!
We departed Newburgh and headed South for Wenersville, PA and and evening with VROC (http://www.vroc.org/) BadLuck. Paul is a guy I met on the forum and offered his home for us to stay in. Simon, my not so trusted GPS did take us on some wonderful roads enroute to Paul's. What amazes me the further we go south is the GREEN colors and the lush forests that overhang the roadways. Pictures can simply NOT do them justice.
We finally met Paul at the Turkey Hill Mini Mart and he took us the "Scenic Route" to his home. Now, while all time in a motorcycle saddle is considered "Scenic" the roads and homes in rural PA are something to behold. We arrived at Paul's to find a cooler full of beer, some Porterhouse Steaks and some of his wife Amy's "Awesome Potatoes". We had a very enjoyable evening with Paul's family and pets, his dogs made me realize how much I missed Lucy and his daughter Amanda how much I missed Booger. That little girl is going to break hearts when she hits High School..if not before!
We turned in way too late and probably more than a little inebriated..but this was one of the evenings I was hoping to have on this trip. I have definately made a friend for life...and look forward to spending more time riding with Paul.


Orange County Choppers, Newburgh, NY

Proof I was there....

NY Yankees Bike...HUGE rear tire...

9/11 Firefighters Memorial Bike


The bike that started a multi million dollar business..


Incredible Paint...

Larry and I with Paul Sr.

PA forests....

Very Green...


Mmmmmmm....twisties....

Chez BadLuck and home of the BadLuck Bash...

Mmmmm....BEER!
Eli
Arlo and Amanda...



Om Nom Nom Nom.....Porter House...Look Ma! I need a bigger plate!




O

2 comments: